Hiring Strategies to Land Your Best Employees
Beyond Hiring as Usual
When searching for job candidates in 2019, you should be fine-tuning your hiring strategies. With low unemployment rates, supply is down and demand is up, along with the competition for top candidates in the accounting and finance field. This can make it challenging to lure in candidates for executive-level positions.
Hiring strategies that worked in past years simply don’t work with today’s low unemployment rates. Job candidates have the upper hand, meaning you need to retool your efforts in order to attract the best candidates.
Consider these points as you proceed with recruitment:
- Identify the assets and skills most needed for the position and the organization.
- Determine past work/personality styles that became a liability for productivity.
Hiring Strategies from a Who’s Who of Leaders
This summary of key hiring strategies comes from a diverse group of business leaders, from those in garments and online retail, to publishing, finance, and entertainment. They include Sara Blakely, Jeff Bezos, Leslie Jane Seymour, Bob Iger, Sallie Krawcheck, and Warren Buffett.
Hire people with skills that complement each other.
- There can be some overlap although you want to see talent distinctions in your team.
- Choose people with assets that balance your limitations.
Optimism and positivity pay off.
- Look for prospective employees who will be a positive influence on others.
- Add an optimist to your team to help with finding the silver lining amidst gloom. This strength is associated with innovation and rich problem solving.
Focus on what you want to learn during the interview. This is key to discerning which candidate best fulfills your needs for the position.
- Listen closely to the candidate’s questions. These can be more revealing than their responses to your questions.
- Identify if a candidate demonstrates qualities you value.
Honesty is the best policy.
- Don’t sugarcoat aspects of the position that are demanding.
- Be clear about current business challenges to allow the candidate to determine if they’re up to the task.
Partner With an Accounting and Finance Recruiter
You don’t have to do this alone. In fact, you may want to make this your first step in the process of finding and hiring skilled professionals.
Specialized Accounting and Finance staffing agencies are familiar with current hiring strategies and have large networks of accounting and finance professionals to meet your hiring needs.
Not only do our recruiters vet the candidates, but they also streamline the interview process and help with the offer stage to ensure smooth negotiations.
For tips on how to keep your new hires, check out: Employee Perks to Boost Retention